Outdoor Safety Tips for the Summer
Outdoor Safety Tips for the Summer
June 1, 2018
Now that summer has arrived, the time for kids to be free and embrace those precious few months without going to school every day is upon us. It’s a time for fun spent with friends, and a lot of times those friendships can include activities that take place outdoors. Being outside presents lots of opportunities for fun, but the open spaces can also include a host of dangers that can harm the participants. Things you may not even think of can pose a risk, but by being careful and staying on top of them, you can make sure your kids remain safe while having fun.
Swimming, hiking, playing sports and even simply enjoying the company of others while outdoors can all be dangerous if the right precautions aren’t taken in advance. Don’t let your child be the one to suffer an injury or fall ill because the proper measures weren’t followed. Acree Air Conditioning has a handful of helpful tips for you to keep in mind over these sweltering months, and they’ll help you make sure your child remains happy and healthy while they maximize this brief time of fun in the sun.
These first few tips aren’t exclusive to any one particular activity, but rather they’re broader steps everyone should take as general precautions.
- Be aware of your surroundings/environment. It can be easy to get lost, even in a place you know like the back of your hand. Always be conscious of where you and your family are so that doesn’t happen.
- Everywhere, but especially in Tampa, bug spray is essential. The mosquitos will swarm around you constantly if you don’t defend them effectively, and they carry a risk of infection and sickness.
- Wear tick-repellant clothes. Ticks can jump on you and your child without you knowing it, but longer pants and sleeves will take care of that.
When most of us think of the summer, we imagine fun afternoons spent on the lake, ocean or pool. The water is great, but it can be very dangerous as well.
- Make sure your children know how to swim. This goes without saying – especially if you plan on being around water consistently – but teaching them how to swim will allow them to do what’s necessary to keep afloat should they get separated.
- Supervise your children around the pool. It can be tempting to kick back and take a nap under the sun, but a lot of accidents happen in silence. Always keep an eye on their surroundings and situations to ensure you can spring into action if necessary.
Nothing’s better than laying out and getting a good tan, but the sun can be pose a substantial risk to your health if you endure direct sunlight for too long.
- Be sure to wear proper sunscreen. An SPF of 15 should be fine but re-apply it often to always be certain you’re getting protected properly.
- Wear light, loose clothing. Protect yourself! Too much exposure can lead to sunburns, or worse.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration is a serious issue, and a lot of times you won’t even realize it’s happening until your body is in desperate need of water. Drink plenty of it, even if you’re not immediately thirsty.
The summer is one of the best times of the year for family fun, but don’t let inadequate preparation ruin it. Follow these steps – which aren’t a complete list by any stretch – and have fun! And remember, Acree Air Conditioning has the tools to help make sure your home remains ready for the summer. Give us a call at 800-937-6736 to learn how!